• Student teachers face complex challenges in their future profession, incl. developing professional digital competence (PDC).
• In response, teacher education needs to address the reciprocity of PDC and students' transformative agency.
• We demonstrate how a small private online course (SPOC) integrates PDC, university seminars and practice.
• Student teachers respond to challenges by transforming them into opportunities for their professional development.
• The SPOC fosters PDC development throught transformative digital agency, conceptualised as a new PDC pillar.
This item's license is: Attribution 4.0 International